Monday, January 23, 2012

Leopard Story - Bandhavgarh

With Sandeep Diddi, Colonel Rajiv Joshi & Families!

We had just dropped our luggage in front of the room when we heard this! "It is a leopard!" I turned around towards my friends and said, "Don't Bother". "No shortage of experts here"! A small crowd had gathered on the lawn facing the Charanganga River at Bandhavgarh and we get an open view of the bank near the Tala Gate Entrance.  It was late evening and we wanted to freshen up in our room at the White Tiger Lodge at Bandhavgarh National Park. 

It took me some time to realize that the person who said that was none other than the manager of White Tiger Resort at Bandhavgarh!

I knew he was wildlife savvy, so I called my friends and said, "Hey let's look". 

By this time a large assemblage of occupants had taken place in front of the lawns facing the Charanganga River and the Tala Gate. I approached the manager, and he whispered that right opposite on the banks of the river was a leopard. "But the commotion" he looked at me a bit disappointed. 

Many of the occupants were carrying torches throwing light on the banks.

"Please turn off your torches and maintain silence for some time," I was barely audible. Awestruck by the possibility of seeing a big cat the command was obeyed instantly.          

Some time ticked by and then I said, "Throw Light but without the sound," and there, right on the banks was a full-grown leopard. Perturbed by the light and squeals of delight from one and all, the big cat tried to climb unto a tree nearby. It climbed halfway a way then startled by the commotion and excited banter came down, and started to amble toward the gate. In a few minutes, it vanished into the wilderness. Right in Front of us!!!! And we could see all of it under the torchlight!!!!!

Wow! My friends looked at me in disbelief. This was their first trip to the forest ever and look what they get to see. "Look what you get to see," I said, they had a question on their countenance. But don't you see this wonder often. "Explanation tomorrow friends. It's time to make merry, eat, and sleep," I said barely containing my excitement. 

We thanked the manager of the Bandhavgarh hotel accommodation for his sharp eyesight. Dinner over, I realized that this was the most fortuitous event in my life, albeit I had seen the big cat earlier. In the two days we stayed at Bandhavgarh we sighted Sita with her four cubs. Little Charger was right up to his antics and frightened the wits out of the visitors.            

By the way, I would love to hear this, "It's a leopard" again and again throughout my lifetime. 

No comments: